Bendigo Regional Archives Centre (BRAC) was established on 24 October 2007 so that a regional archives service could run in the Goldfields area.
This was made possible by a partnership between three member parties:
- Goldfields Library Corporation (GLC)
- Public Record Office Victoria (PROV)
- City of Greater Bendigo (CoGB)
BRAC is a ‘Place of Deposit’ (POD). Places of Deposit are historical centres that preserve local public records, in our case the Bendigo region.
BRAC was made possible through a $1.3 million grant from the State Government Regional Infrastructure Development Fund. This has funded:
- building a BRAC repository at the library for many of the BRAC historical archives
- a fully serviced public area to access BRAC records upstairs at the Bendigo Library
- an off-site archives; a large storage facility to house the greater part of the BRAC archives at Nolan Street in North Bendigo
BRAC has now been serving researchers for 5 years and employs two part time staff in order to be open to the public on Wednesdays and Thursdays.