This website uses ReadSpeaker to provide online text to speech functionality, where the text on the website can be read out loud to you. A listen button is available on each page and you can also highlight a piece of text and press the pop-up listen button. No software is required to use ReadSpeaker. More information on using ReadSpeaker.
About this site
This website has been specifically designed to be accessible to everyone and to ensure that its features and structure are compliant with worldwide standards for access, including W3C Level A compliance, with additional features from Level AA and Level AAA. The site is managed using a compliant content management system, and ongoing efforts are made to ensure website authors are trained and supported to maintain the site's content to these standards as much as possible.
This website is optimised for home use, with graphics kept to a minimum to aid speed. Our website is best viewed from a screen size of 800 x 600 upwards.
The staff involved in creating our website have undertaken intensive usability and accessibility testing during this process, with specific attention to features like:
- Documents: We have endeavoured to ensure that our documents aren't too large and don't take too long to download, however in some instances this may be unavoidable. Wherever possible we try to display the document size in the document listing. We have set all documents to open in a new window.
- Jump to content functionality: This allows people tabbing through the site to skip through the menu navigation and go directly to the content area of the page, which may be useful when using a screen reader.
- Links to external websites: We have forced our hyperlinks pointing to external websites to open in a new window, all internal links should open in the same window unless indicated otherwise.
- Navigation: The design of the site is simple and easy to move around in. Major services have been placed on the homepage so that you can easily access the information that you require. A site index and search has also been included and the search facility allows for a simple search of all text within the site, including documents.
- Page size: We understand that internet speeds can differ, so we have tried to ensure that our pages are quick to load for users with dialup. If you find that this is not the case we would be happy for you to send us feedback in this regard.
- Text only: This website is also available as a text only version, which can be accessed by clicking the "Text Only" link at the bottom of the page.
- Text size: We have provided some options for readers who prefer larger text, however this can sometimes affect the way in which a page displays and is not always ideal. We are constantly working on improvements in this area.
We are committed to ensuring that our website is regularly tested and maintained to guarantee the information, wherever possible, is available to everyone. If you encounter any accessibility issues, or would like to provide feedback, please contact us.
This website supports the ability to increase the text size. Please refer to the instructions relevant to your browser: