Working on current advice from the Government, Goldfields Library Corporation and PROV, BRAC is pleased to announce that the Bendigo Reading Room has now reopened. As you can imagine, there are some new processes in place - these are outlined below.
KEY CHANGES TO NOTE
> You must book ahead to attend the BRAC Reading Room
> All items must be ordered through the PROV catalogue
> Cancel your booking if you feel unwell, even if at late notice
A limited number of patrons will be permitted into the Reading Room for any of the following sessions:
Wednesday 10:30AM to 12:30PM
Wednesday 2:00PM to 4:00PM
Thursday 10:30AM to 12:30PM
Thursday 2:00PM to 4:00PM
Patrons will need to book ahead for access to any given session - this is best done via email, outlining your full name, preferred session/s, and if you need access to a power point. All bookings will receive confirmation of receipt. Be aware that BRAC is only staffed on Wednesday and Thursdays.
For Wednesdays, you should place a booking for your preferred session AND order your items before 4PM the previous Thursday. For Thursdays sessions, book and order no later than 4PM on Wednesday.
These session structures allow us to undertake intensive cleaning and quarantine our records for each set of new patrons. We understand these practices may be quite limiting but for the time being are required for the safety of our staff, patrons and community.
Please DO NOT attend a session if you feel unwell in any way - we do not mind last minute cancellations for this reason.
* Only catalogued records can currently be ordered and accessed.
* All orders must be placed through the PROV catalogue - we cannot currently pick on demand. You can find guides on ordering on both PROV and BRAC websites, and short cuts are featured in our catalogue table. This may particularly impact on those researching house histories.
* Up to eight records can be initially supplied for your session; if you have ordered more than eight records, there may be a short delay while your initial records are returned and further records retrieved.
* Patrons must bring their own equipment - pencils, erasers, magnifiers etc.
* Bookings are strictly on a first received, first processed basis.
* The library's Local History collection items can be accessed if required however patrons must not use the step ladder (ask staff for assistance) and items must not be reshelved - please place on the table provided.
* Any records that are held at the off-site repository must be ordered within 48 hours of your planned visit (to see where record sets are stored, view our catalogue table - any items labeled 'Nolan' are off-site).
* Only limited research assistance can be provided by staff - we have many Guides to help with a range of research on our website.
* You will need to record your details upon entering the library building from Hargreaves Street, and a second time upon entering the Reading Room. These records are for separate archives administrative purposes, please be patient with this process.
* The general conditions of entry still apply for Reading Room visits - please review these HERE.
* Access to the Reading Room will be via the door at the FAR end of the room only, follow the signage if you are unsure.
* A properly fitted mask must be worn at all times while in the Reading Room.
* We ask patrons to be mindful of staff and other patrons within the Reading Room and practice strict social distancing and good hygiene.
* The public toilets upstairs are open and regularly cleaned.
We thank researchers and patrons for their patience at what is an uncertain time with unfamiliar processes. Please continue to check your inbox, and our website and Facebook page for interim updates - our situation and advice may change at short notice.