Working on current advice from the Government, Goldfields Library Corporation and PROV, BRAC is pleased to announce that the Bendigo Reading Room has now reopened. Pleas make yourself familiar with the processes and requirements of reopening in June 2021 below.
KEY THINGS TO NOTE
> It is strongly advised that you make a booking for attending the BRAC Reading Room
> All items must be ordered through the PROV catalogue
> You must check in using the Government QR system on arrival to
the library - see a librarian if you are unsure how to do this
> Properly fitted masks must be worn at all times
> Cancel your booking if you feel unwell, even if at late notice
The following sessions are available for research:
Wednesday 10:30AM to 12:30PM
Wednesday 1:30PM to 4:00PM
Thursday 10:30AM to 12:30PM
Thursday 1:30PM to 4:00PM
Due to patron limits in the Reading Room area, we STRONGLY ADVISE patrons to book ahead for access to any given session - this is best done via email, outlining your full name, preferred session/s, and if you need access to a power point. All bookings will receive confirmation of receipt. While we do our best to accommodate all patrons, if we have reached capacity you may not be able to access the Reading Room for several hours, if at all.
Due to our opening hours, for Wednesdays, you should place a booking for your preferred session AND order your items before 4PM the previous Thursday. For Thursdays sessions, book and order no later than 4PM on Wednesday.
Please DO NOT attend a session if you feel unwell in any way - we do not mind last-minute cancellations for this reason.
* Only catalogued records can currently be ordered and accessed.
* All orders must be placed through the PROV catalogue - we cannot currently pick on demand. You can find guides on ordering on both PROV and BRAC websites, and short cuts are featured in our catalogue table. This may particularly impact on those researching house histories.
* Up to eight records can be initially supplied for your session; if you have ordered more than eight records, there may be a delay while your initial records are returned and further records retrieved.
* Patrons must bring their own equipment - pencils, erasers, magnifiers etc.
* Bookings are strictly on a first received, first processed basis.
* The library's Local History collection items can be accessed if required however patrons must not use the step ladder (ask staff for assistance) and items must not be reshelved - please place on the table provided.
* Any records that are held at the off-site repository must be ordered within 48 hours of your planned visit (to see where record sets are stored, view our catalogue table - any items labelled 'Nolan' are off-site).
* Only limited research assistance can be provided by staff - we have many Guides to help with a range of research on our website.
* You will need to check in to the Government's QR contract tracing system upon entering the ground floor of the library building, and also record your details upon entering the Reading Room. These records are for separate administrative purposes, please be patient with this process.
* The general conditions of entry still apply for Reading Room visits - please review these HERE.
* Access to the Reading Room will be via the door at the FAR end of the room only, follow the signage if you are unsure.
* We ask patrons to be mindful of staff and other patrons within the Reading Room and practice strict social distancing and good hygiene.
* The public toilets upstairs are open and regularly cleaned.
We thank researchers and patrons for their patience at what is an uncertain time with unfamiliar processes. Please continue to check your inbox, and our website and Facebook page for interim updates - our situation and advice may change at short notice.